Thursday, May 17, 2007

Novena for the Holy Spirit

As today is the traditional day of Ascension, starting a set of nine days to Pentecost, I offer you the following traditional prayers for the Holy Spirit.
Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful,
and enkindle in them the fire of Your love.
V. Send forth Your Spirit, and they shall be created,
R. And You shall renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray.
O God, Who by the light of the Holy Spirit,
did instruct the hearts of Your faithful,
grant that by that same Holy Spirit,
we may be truly wise and ever rejoice in His consolation,
through Christ our Lord. Amen.


O Lord Jesus Christ Who, before ascending into heaven
did promise to send the Holy Spirit to finish Your work in the souls of Your Apostles and Disciples,
deign to grant the same Holy Spirit to me that He may perfect in my soul,
the work of Your grace and Your love.
Grant me the Spirit of Wisdom that I may despise the perishable things of this world and aspire only after the things that are eternal,
the Spirit of Understanding to enlighten my mind with the light of Your divine truth,
the Spirit of Counsel that I may ever choose the surest way of pleasing God and gaining heaven,
the Spirit of Fortitude that I may bear my cross with You and that I may overcome with courage all the obstacles that oppose my salvation,
the Spirit of Knowledge that I may know God and know myself and grow perfect in the science of the Saints,
the Spirit of Piety that I may find the service of God sweet and amiable,
and the Spirit of Fear that I may be filled with a loving reverence towards God and may dread in any way to displease Him.
Mark me, dear Lord, with the sign of Your true disciples and animate me in all things with Your Spirit. Amen.

(To be recited daily during the Novena)

2 comments:

Adoro said...

Thanks for posting this, Father.

Is there a link online somewhere to this particular Novena? Or did you type it up from something you have in hard copy?

Fr. Todd J. Petersen said...

The first part is a traditional as found on countless sites online. The second half, a prayer for the seven gifts, is found on EWTN at http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/pentecost/seven.htm and a few other sites.