Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Reflection on "I am the Vine"

My grandfather had a large trellis of grapevines. Around this time of year, he would ask for help pruning the vine. We trimmed the dead or broken branches, pruned the branches that would not set fruit, and watched for any type of infestation. All of this, to me as a youngster, seemed an exercise in futility, as year after year, we worked for hours and sometimes days. One year, I asked him why we had to prune so much. He pointed to a branch that would not set fruit (he had already taught me the signs). He told me to look at all the leaves that sapped as much energy from the vine as they produced. It was a worthless branch because it was not productive. It was best to prune it away so that energy could be given toward the grapes on the other branches.

Jesus uses an image of Him as the vine, us as the branches, and the Father the vine grower (John15:1-8). From my grandfather, I have a deep appreciation for what Jesus is teaching. The Father cares for us, and if we are seeking Him, He will give us what we need to grow. While it sounds callous to cut and prune the non-productive branches, it is really an act of love.

Even more, it is a powerful metaphor for life. While the Gospel image speaks of people being pruned because of their unbelief or to produce more fruit, I cannot help but understand that there are branches in my life’s story that need the Father’s pruning. We all have them. We often put our energy toward something that does not bear good fruit toward the ultimate goal of eternity with God. Imagine if we treated our lives and decisions like a vine grower, watching for the signs that a certain decision will bear good fruit, or deciding against a branch that will not. We would weigh everything to the eternal consequences.

Every fall until my grandfather’s failing health forced him to move, we helped with the harvest. We would process the grapes for juice, which was jarred and enjoyed throughout the cold winter months. I imagine God will be even more pleased to enjoy His work in us when we get to heaven after the harvest of this world is complete.

No comments: